A recent post-dinner conversation went a little something like this…
Jessalyn: Wanna go get some Ben & Jerry’s?
Alex: Hmm. You can. I need to pay some bills.
Jessalyn: I was just going to pick some up from the grocery store. Are you sure you don’t wanna go?
Alex: Yeah I probably shouldn’t.
Jessalyn: Yeah I don’t think I’ll go.
5 minutes later…
Alex: So you’re not gonna go?
Alex: But I really wanted ice cream!
Jessalyn: Me too.
5 minutes later…
Jessalyn: Wait a minute, I’ll just make ice cream! Duh!
[cue celebratory dance]
Simple Peppermint Brownie Ice Cream
Yum Factor: Alex – 6, Jessalyn – 6
1. Make sure the bowl of your ice cream machine has been in the freezer for at least 24-48 hours. Always try to work quickly when preparing your ice cream ingredients.
– 1 cup cold whole milk
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
2. Whisk together in a large, preferably cold bowl until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
– 2 cups cold heavy cream
3. Add to milk mixture and stir quickly to combine. Immediately assemble and turn on your ice cream machine and pour in the mixture. Let it do its thing for about 25 minutes.
– 3/4 cup brownie pieces (I used leftovers that I had stored in the freezer after making these)
4. Add the brownie pieces and let the machine mix them in – about 2 minutes. Remove the ice cream bowl and place in the freezer 5-10 minutes before scooping into storage containers/a bowl/your mouth. I think this helps improve the ice cream’s texture.
It’s rare that we don’t have ice cream of some variety in the freezer. Except now. Because it’s gone. And I forgot to take a picture. I’m sorry. What flavors of ice cream to you like to keep on hand?